July 12, 2010

The Austerity Of Small Races

"Where have all these races gone, long time passing. Where have all these races gone, a long, long time ago." These are the words echoing on me when I went home after joining the nutribar hip2b fit run at the up diliman grounds. The race was so simple yet entertaining as the pictures below clearly define it.

Races nowadays are branded as hip and ultra-modern with the advancement of technologies. With the advent of video walls, steel-rigged stages, vast venue, timing chips, celebrities and massive attendance; I could say that the recent nutribar race is way behind the trend. But the staging, the silence and the attendance is simply awesome. The implementation is well above par. There were no chaos, no dilly-dally, no deafening sound, a scene associated with huge races, but participants were treated to a fine event on that cool sunday morning. The calm atmosphere at the place is the ideal.

It's been a long while since I had the opportunity to attend these kind of races. The year was 2006 and 2007; the yakult run, the intramuros great wall run, the auto review run were fine examples, where people find time to relax and mingle after the grueling run. Runners of different kind converge in a small area to celebrate what was a big accomplishment for that day. Runners come and go with smiles in their faces. The opportunity to make friends is broad.

This is the kind of race that I was searching for a long time, a race atypical to where I started. And, oh, if whining occurs here, I may hang-up my laces.

12 comments:

  1. Those were the days (it sounds a long time ago) ... I totally agree with what you've said here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roselle, medyo matagal na talaga. Did you experience something like this before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I did. If you try to look at the races where I registered from the day I started joining races, they were mostly small races. :D

    In a span of three years much have been changed, both good and bad. I started racing in 2005 but stopped for over a year to rest and I was back again in 2007. Most of the races back then were just small ones, not much fanfare, and simple. I should write a book entitled, "Running and Races in the Philippines: From 2005-Present." What do you think? haha Just kidding about the book, I mean. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tama ka Vener. Just like you, I also love participating in smaller races. Mas maraming oppurtunities to mingle with the organizers, fellow runners and the elite. And, it's not hard to find your loved ones and friends waiting for you after you finish the race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree as well. It is not a run-and-go home type of races unlike today. You can easily find your friends after running and have more time to mingle and chat.

    That said, please join the "Takbo para sa Katutubo" on August 08, 2010 here in Clark organized by ABS-CBSN Pampanga - one of those small races but big in heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Roselle, go go diva, I'll be waiting for that book. See you again.

    @ Bong, oo nga e, ang luwag nang pakiramdam after finishing, tanggal agad ang pagod mo. Huge crowd is somewhat toxic sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Rico, balik tayo ulit sa upd. I miss those free taho from you, hahaha.

    @ Jon, another point is that the reg fee here is way cheaper and the possibility that all kind of "runners" can join is somewhat high.
    That race of yours is interesting, I hope I could find time to come. See you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just miss racing. Hehehe But small races are really nice. Tiffin loves those races because she has a chance to get on the podium.

    Regards Mark & Tiffin

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Mark & Tiffin, you have a good point there, malaki ang tsansa, hahaha. But the top three local male runners and the top female finisher of the recent milo marathon dominated here. I hope you could find those races there, keep on running.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how i wish i experienced those days, simple races.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi James, there's still some of this nowadays, just choose your races wisely.

    ReplyDelete